Demolition of the Airstream Part I

It has been exactly one month since the Mobile Studio Kickstarter wrapped up and the project was successfully funded. A lot has been happening since then to prep this Northern Zephyr.

Actually, a lot has happened since jumping on a craigslist ad last August and excitedly rolling the 31' Airstream Sovereign into the backyard of my Northeast home (Thank you Mark). Newly without a savings account, a few planks of a fence fewer and with a better sense of purpose than I have felt in a long time, I couldn't take my eyes off the Sovereign. I'd check on it before going to work in the morning, I asked friends to come have drinks on the dusty old cushions (invites that a few incredibly gracious people took me up on), and I spent hours looking it over, taking photos and planning what would soon feel like totally insanity.  

The rennovation would cost at total sum of what felt like my entire life. And I'm not someone who can easily put a project on hold, whatever the reason. The Airstream was in my backyard, therefore it needed to be dismantled. If A then B.

First, were a few tiles Lindsay and I peeled up with our bare hands spontaneously and sporadically over a few glasses of box wine. In the morning rationale set in and the understanding that the furnature, cabinetry, appliaces, walls and pretty much everything in the f*cking trailer was ON TOP of the tiles, I resolved to remove all of the items in the reverse order that they most likely went it. 

IMG_9345.JPG

And this is where we pause, for a few months...

because... Kickstarter.

If you've never created a Kickstarter and are thinking about it please ask yourself these very serious questions:

1. Is there absolutely no other way to possibly obtain this money?

2. Am I able to make like a politician and incorporate everything about my Kickstarter campaign into my daily life? 

3. Am I willing to devote all of my social media accounts to the single purpose of raising money?

Kickstarter took months to pull together and complete. Erik Nelson created our spot-on video, the content was written, rewards were created and photographed and the campaign was launched. For the 30 days our Kickstarter ran, almost every hour spent outside the studio was dedicated to promotion. I still do not know how to express the gratitude for everyone that helped, contributed to and shared the project. I feel very lucky that it was successful.

And this is where we pick back up with the demolition.

It is a lot colder in January and I have been limited to working days with a temperature above 25 degrees. Forget the casual tile peeling with a glass of wine. Every minute spent out in the trailer requires continuous motion to keep the limbs warm. With the help of two amazing people, Lindsay and Pete, we managed to clear the rest of the interior in two good weekends. 

Everything came out. A few things I've kept around to use as a template for new pieces. The pile of garbage in my yard can compete Banksy's Dismaland

This process was Disgusting. The bandaids, used slippers, and pounds of mouse droppings are just a few examples of terrible items we've come across.

This last photo is the interior of the Northern Zephyr as it looks today. I've enlisted the help of about 10 friends to finish the job next weekend by removing walls, tiles and insulation. Hopefully I'll get the stop motion working.